Friday, May 07, 2010

Another Beach, Another Storm


Another Beach, Another Storm sketch 8 x 10" pencil
© 2010 Katherine Kean


I'm just getting started on the painting that this drawing is for. I became so fond of another recently completed painting, I wanted to do something with a similar feel right away. This one is much more complicated than the last, both in the clouds and in the water. There are many subtleties in the greys and the clouds are rolling and curling and carrying out all kinds of interesting manuevers. This drawing serves as a map for values and a guide for the motion and detail. I'm finding it interesting that at the actual location, the sea with the incoming waves felt very dynamic, while the sky, though not exactly calm, felt heavier and more stable compared to the water. In the drawing I feel the reverse - although that may change in the painting of it. Painting this is either going to drive me crazy or it's going to be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Dianne Poinski said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the painting, but I love the drawing. So much energy and emotion.

Katherine Kean said...

Diane, Thank you - the energy and emotion is what I'm going for!

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...