Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Selections



These are the two pieces selected as part of the California Open Exhibition at TAG. Below are a few words from Laddie John Dill's Statement concerning his jury process.

As an artist looking at the submissions for the show, I considered if those pieces appeared to be part of an entire body of work rather than a one-shot deal. In general, I wanted to see that the artist had really investigated the possibilities for that body of work. I selected work that I thought would allow the viewer to get into the process of making the piece—to view those choices that had concerned the artist in producing their work of art.

7 comments:

Topwomen said...

those are very beautiful pieces Katherine. Is there any way you could provide a larger picture on the second piece? It doesn't enlarge when you click on it.

Topwomen said...

dang, I really do love that first piece. I keep on looking at it over and over.

Katherine, did you have a specific message you were trying to express? I'd love to hear about what you were feeling when you created this.

Also if you don't mind a technical question or two: Oil? Acrylic? Is the white of the veil impasto or were you able to blend it in enough so that it seemed more ethereal? ( can't tell by the photo)

I just LOVE it!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi rgmb,

You can find a larger image Here.

In Autumn's Veil I was exploring my perceptions of my story of reality. The veil has some built up areas on the edges and on the lace leaf areas. The remainder of the veil paint is fairly thin and flat.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Cassandra Tondro said...

I wonder how Laddie John Dill could tell if a submission was part of a larger body of work or not. I don't think I could make that determination.

Cassandra Tondro said...

Oh! Beautiful paintings, by the way. I forgot to say that in my previous comment. I can see why it was juried in. Clearly part of a larger body of work!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks and good question. It would seem that whether a piece is part of a larger body of work can only be determined as long as the artist entered more than one piece. How many pieces are required to make a body of work?

Cassandra Tondro said...

Usually it has to be at least 10 pieces before it's considered a body of work, and 15-20 is better.

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...