Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Small Scale Sun, Sea, and Skies

Maine-Tides Study in progress 8 x 10" oil on linen
©2011 Katherine Kean

Clouds-Sun 6 x 6" graphite on paper
©2011 Katherine Kean

Clouds-Sun Pastel Study in progress 7 x 7"
©2011 Katherine Kean

At the top is the first color layer on a small study of the tides against rocks on the coast of Maine. As much as I like the color of the rocks I can see that I'll be toning it down.

I'm thinking of a small painting from the next two studies. I haven't worked with pastel in a long time, but heard about pan pastels and had to try them out. I like how painterly the pastels are - compared to graphite, although I miss the detail. I think in paint all those discrepancies will work themselves out.

I'm determined to finish several paintings that I've picked out by the end of the month, barring any technical difficulties. Today I've had quite the delay with email. My account was shut down and then reactivated. For some mysterious reason this involves sending things all over the world to various servers and takes many, many hours. Nobody has been able to explain to me the reason and I'd love to know!

10 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Beautiful, especially the clouds/sun in graphite.

I can't solve the email mystery.

Beth said...

I see you want to change the color on the stones, but oh I love them!

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Jean.

Nobody can solve the email mystery! Fortunately it seems to be fixed now and everything is back to normal. Yay!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Beth, the color will still be there, but it'll be in smaller, more select doses.

Kathryn Hansen said...

i really like all 3 pieces, but especially Maine-Tide...very nice!!

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Kathryn! I worked on it some more today.

Unknown said...

Hi Katherine love your painting especially the last one. As far as email, I don't know who your server is, but it sounds messed up. I have never heard of such a thing. Especially when it takes so many hours. Just make sure someone isn't messing with your emails.

Gary Keimig said...

I have nokt checked up on your blog for a while Katherine. You are still doing great skies and the tidal painting is very nice.

Katherine Kean said...

Thank you Cindi. My email is functioning now. It was all due to an account or billing error at Yahoo - nobody knows what happened. I was told that since their system is automated the only solution was to shut down the account, risk losing all the files, and reactivate as if new. More of a headache for Yahoo then for me in the end.

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Gary - thanks for visiting and for your lovely comment!

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...