Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Artwork Inventory Forms


Picking up where I left off in the post below - this is what I came up with to track artwork inventory.

I modeled this form after the artwork inventory file cards I used to use. The William Soghor Company made the file cards with a 5 x 8” opening at the top right corner that holds a 35mm slide.

I prefer a loose-leaf binder to a card box. I like that I can insert additional documents in the binder and keep everything together if I want; items such as contracts, invoices, or consignment forms. I like the extra room available on a full sheet of paper in case I want to make extra notes. I am using this form for now as a quick manual method to keep track of work that may be moving around a lot, from studio to show to stacks, etc. Eventually, expanded information is compiled that may include any information pertaining to any mediums or special materials used or whether the painting is varnished. This will include notes about which exhibitions each work appeared in and who else exhibited alongside, as well as any publications or reviews. The location notes are important for work that is out, but also for work that may be stored; indicating where that is, whether it is in the studio, a closet, a spare room, or a storage facility. The information may be valuable for the artist or the gallery, and at some point for the collector or a museum. It also helps establish validity as a business for tax purposes and is essential in the event of an insurance claim.

I've posted a blank artwork inventory form on Google Docs that you can print out or save to your computer and use.

10 comments:

Tatiana said...

This is really nice! You're so organized ;)
I also like the inset piece you have here...beautiful.
Thanks for sharing this.

Anne M Bray said...

I use those same index cards...
Hmmm, binder might be a better idea.
You got me thinking...

I also use GYST software for inventorying, but I got hung up on all the data entry. Now my formerly nicely organized cards are in a heap in a box.

Katherine Kean said...

Tatiana,

Thank you - I'm glad that you might find it useful and thanks - I'm glad you like the painting.

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Anne,

Those index cards were great, weren't they? I'm glad that I have the records that I do have on them, but the world has changed...

I sometimes don't even get around to making slides and sometimes the software just isn't handy enough for the near term.

M.Castaneda Oil Portraits Fine Art Paintings said...

This is a terrific idea! Thanks for sharing it, and our class. I like your paintings, their mystery, and places in nature, just beautiful.

fondly, Magdalena

Katherine Kean said...

Magdalena - you're entirely welcome, I'm glad it's helpful.

I'm glad you like the paintings!

Thanks for visiting - stop by anytime.

Lori Anne Boocks said...

Just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing this. I enjoyed looking at you work as well :)

Aviva said...

This is hugely helpful as we're just getting organized to start approaching galleries with our work. Thanks so much!

Susan said...

Do you inventory commissioned works? !! Trying to fill out the 901 inventory tax form. Please help!! Anyone!!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Susan, thanks for coming by and for your interesting question. Personally, yes, I include commissioned works in my inventory records because I want to retain a history or provenance of each work. Of course you should consult your tax professional about your 901 form.

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...