Friday, April 17, 2009

Stacking, Storing, Labeling: Inventories and Juried Exhibits


Lightfall oil on linen 40 x 18"

Yesterday I labeled and wrapped 5 paintings to take to the gallery. Last month the office and stacks of the gallery were demolished and a new, more efficient layout constructed in its place. The new design increases the capacity of work that the gallery is able to have on hand. In addition there is a monthly group show hung in the North gallery. Even though I am not planning to have a show until late next year the pressure is still on to produce fresh work. I am also going to have to update my inventory method in order to keep track of what painting has been exhibited where and when. I have several versions that I keep on my computer, but lately I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to have a three ring binder and a page for each painting. I used to keep a system like this before. I had special large index cards that had a slot at the top for a slide. The front of the card had all the info about the painting; title, size media, and date and the back listed the exhibits and the current location of the work – the provenance.

In the meantime I have work in the Art Slant online showcase. You can view this month’s painting entries here. My regular Art Slant profile is here. Viewers are allowed to vote, however it is my understanding that this is a juried competition so the voting has no impact on which work is chosen as winning entries.

While we're on the topic of juried exhibits, TAG Gallery has just announced the 2009 California Open Exhibition. The exhibition dates are August 19 - September 5, 2009. You can download and printout a prospectus online. Even though it is called the California Open the competition is open to all U.S. residents.

No comments:

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...