Friday, July 10, 2009

Ash Plume and Lava Field sketches


Ash Plume Sketch
© 2009 Katherine Kean
It has been a busy week. I've been finishing up on some older pieces and starting new ones both. These are the beginnings of two new works. I've already started the underpainting on the second one. You can see some of the grid lines on the drawing as well as a smudge where I dripped some paint.

I ran out of gloves in the middle of the week. I usually order several boxes when I'm ordering paint, but the paint orders seem to take a long time to arrive. It all of a sudden occurred to me that I might find gloves on Amazon.com and that they'd arrive more quickly. Sure enough they had several selections to choose from and they are a lot cheaper to boot. Now, where is the paint?

Lava Field Sketch© 2009 Katherine Kean 

9 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

The drawings are beautiful, and I like seeing this early stage, with grid showing. It reassures me that "getting lost in the clouds" happens even to the experienced. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Katherine these are very powerful. Can't wait to see them as they develop.

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Jean - you bet - "getting lost in the clouds" can be an occupational hazard!

Thanks Marianne! I hope they live up to their potential.

Gary Keimig said...

Really like where your clouds are going. Will be watching these as they progress.

Gabrielle said...

This sketch is really powerful and the contrasts are beautiful - puts me in mind of William Blake.

Gabrielle said...

Ooops, meant to also thank you for stopping by and commenting on my magpie post!

Katherine Kean said...

Gary - thank you! And thanks for stopping by.

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Gabrielle and you're welcome. I was so charmed by your Magpie!

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...