Monday, July 28, 2014

Painterly Progress Proceeds

Raindrops and Twinkle Lights work in progress Katherine Kean
oil 18 x 24 inches
I'm continuing right where I left off last week, with more painterliness on subsequent layers. I'm allowing each layer to dry completely in between applications of paint.

Raindrops and Twinkle Lights work in progress (detail) 
Katherine Kean

oil 18 x 24 inches
As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm allowing some areas to remain thin and translucent, while other areas will be opaque. Because I'm more or less inventing a raindrop pattern on this one, I'm taking my time to allow that pattern to emerge. The actual drops will be the very last to be painted. For now I'm only interested in where raindrops might run together or pool.

Raindrops and Twinkle Lights work in progress (detail) 
Katherine Kean

oil 18 x 24 inches
The orange layer is slightly impasto, applied with stiffer paint to help retain the height and shape of the brush strokes. I plan to apply this idea to the raindrops too, when I get to them.

"A painting in which impasto is a prominent feature can also said to be painterly. This term carries the implication that the artist is revelling in the manipulation of the paint itself and making the fullest use of its sensuous properties." - Tate Glossary, Impasto

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting steps in these, Katherine. The hue you came up with that picks up the intensity of the back-lighting, reflected light, and atmosphere is perfect. This is a very risky piece and I wish you braveness and surety in executing its idea.
That's one thing that can further an artist's growth, IMHO: risk. The willingness to take steps that can ruin a work or take it to the next level. This and a few other 'tensions' is where the power of the work lies and it is by our catharsis that it is released into the world.
One truth I have found is all art is risk.

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Allan! I appreciate your insights and support.

In this case I feel I am only risking my time, materials, and a little bit of ego.

Kathryn Hansen said...

This is so interesting Katherine, I can hardly wait to see how it comes out!!

Ohh and by the way I took lots of photos of your paintings at the reception this weekend but it turns out I had a bum USB card in my camera... :(

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Kathryn!

And thanks for thinking of taking photos! I'm so sorry I had to miss the reception. Don't you hate it when the tech side fails?

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...