Monday, March 05, 2012

Now Smoother and with More Birds

original oil painting, contemporary, gray blue, murmuration, phenomena, ocean, sky, wave, flocking bird storm, ethereal, two piece modular, large

Here's another look at one of the final paintings I'm working on for my next show - only about six more weeks until it's time for hanging it. It's a modular piece so you're seeing part of the top and part of the bottom together. The surface is continuing to co-operate now, lying smoother and flatter; as I wrote about in another post.

Did you ever start working on a project and then start to see signs of a similar interest or subject everywhere? While working on this series I noticed that the murmuration phenomena has expanded. I'm seeing short videos everywhere depicting murmuration events. I've started seeing articles about business and finance that have latched onto the word to describe their system or process and recently I saw a movie that used the idea as a special visual effect, as sort of an apocalyptic vision. I'm not sure if all of these references were always there and I'm just noticing because of my association or if it has simply increased in the past few months.

14 comments:

Derek said...

Wonderful picture!

As for the effect you mention, if I understand the term correctly from a business point of view, is it to do with the way organisations and companies align themselves to shifting markets, or towards "the next big thing"?

Anyway, here are some birds!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-57318049-10391705/murmuration-shows-a-fascinating-and-rare-phenomena-in-nature/



http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-57318049-10391705/murmuration-shows-a-fascinating-and-rare-phenomena-in-nature/

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Derek!

That could be what is meant, perhaps in reference to viral, permission, and word of mouth marketing.

Thanks for the link! That's one of my favorite videos. Funny that they title it a rare phenomenon. It seems like it's happening all over.

Palmer said...

Wow! I love this!!

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Palmer!!!

Kathryn Hansen said...

i can hardly wait to see this one in person!!

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Kathryn! I look forward to showing it.

Jean Spitzer said...

Fascinating phenomenon and painting.

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Jean. I think it's a fascinating phenomenon too - so much of nature is.

jeronimus said...

Hi Katherine. This is the painting I would like to post on Marine Oil Paintings. It looks great already, but if you'd prefer me to post a finished work that's fine.

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jeronimus - that would be wonderful. I do think however, that perhaps it needs to be noted that this is a detail from a larger painting that is a work in progress. I think that might be really interesting to post.

If that's too confusing or complicated, or will turn off your readers I'm fine with waiting until it's finished to post too.

jeronimus said...

Hi again. Maybe I'll let you finish it first I think. Look forward to seeing the finished piece!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jeronimus - Okay. It won't be too much longer.

michael scott said...

I love your style no matter what the subject is..good work

Katherine Kean said...

Thank you - same to you - your work is wonderful!

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...