Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Rain, and Cold, and... Snow?

The sun has returned after the past week's winter weather of rain, cold, and snow. When I mention local snow I usually refer to the snow that is visible on the mountains close by, seen, but not felt. This past weekend it snowed right here, on me, on my house, on my budding fruit trees and yard. It didn't stick for long, but it's proximity made it feel appropriate to be working on this pair of rainy day paintings.

These have three or four layers now with plenty more to come. There is still lots of under painting color showing through on each, which I plan to retain. I like the surprise of tiny specks of vivid gold or red poking through the more sober greys.


Raindrops 2 Underpainting work in progress
©2011 Katherine Kean


Raindrops 3 Underpainting work in progress
©2011 Katherine Kean

 I've been happily observing the days getting longer. Having more daylight to paint by has been great. Yet, it's still cold, so even though the days are longer there isn't enough sunlight to make up for the heat lost during the winter. The cold has made for slo-o-o-w drying time. Under paintings that I started last week are still tacky. Paintings, still sticky, that need final glazes continue hanging in limbo. Since I must wait for paintings to dry in order to work on, I continue to start on fresh ones. So for now, the studio is getting quite full!
...................................................................................................................................................................

7 comments:

Dianne Poinski said...

I love seeing the progress on these paintings!

I was in southern California this weekend for my brother's wedding. He also received snow at his house. The mountains looked fantastic on Sunday!

Hope it warms up for you soon....

Palmer said...

Love these! I can just imagine a dusting of snow around your house. Must be very pretty.

Katherine Kean said...

Thanks Dianne! The snow does look pretty on the mountains. Congratulations to your brother on his wedding!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Palmer, thank you. It may have been pretty - but I was too surprised to say! And then it disappeared very soon.

Beth said...

I am really enjoying watching these paintings transform, thank you for sharing the process with us. Snow in your area, crazy isn't it?

Derek said...

Looking forward to seeing these wonderful paintings completed! :)

I guess snow in your part of California is quite rare? Hope you don't much more freaky weather!

Katherine Kean said...

Thank you Beth and Derek.

It snows a bit every few years or so. This was about the third or fourth time in 20 years. Often enough to take in stride, but seldom enough to make for a surprise!

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...