Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn News

Look, but don't touch! Poodle Dog Bush

I just sent out my Autumn Newletter. In it I wrote that it doesn't feel like Autumn to me, but like summer has finally arrived - it has been so cool and misty all summer up until the past few days. But I spoke too soon! I woke up to more cool, hazy, looks like it might drizzle any second weather. I'm enjoying it either way.

Sign up to receive my Email Newsletter or click here to view my current newsletter online.

It's hard to believe that around this time a year ago we were still waiting for the Station Fire to be put out. Most of the Angeles Forest has been closed since then, to give the forest and the wildlife a chance to recover. The original plan was to reopen September 30th, but I've been hearing that it might take a little longer, or that some parts may reopen and other parts will reopen later.

Here is a video from one camera outfitted with motion sensors placed to record wildlife. The camera survived the fire because it was in a stream and sheltered by a boulder.

Angeles Requiem from Tocho on Vimeo.



Something to watch out for when the forest is reopened is the poisonous Poodle Dog Bush. Cute name, pretty flower, but if you touch it you may get poison oak type symptoms: blistering, itching, and swelling. This plant prefers not to compete with other plants, so it takes advantage of all the space after a burn.

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

wow...that video gave me the chills.

i was just wondering the other day when Angeles Crest would be open again...thanks for the info. and, i'll look out for that plant!!

Jean Spitzer said...

Hard to believe that was just last year. Thank you for posting this.

Katherine Kean said...

Kathryn, me too - it brought up all the feelings from the time of the fire.

Jean, I know. Also the weather has been so mild, fires have been the furthest thing from my mind.

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...