Monday, October 22, 2012

City Hopper, Country Hopper

Road in Maine Edward Hopper
When you think of Edward Hopper’s work do you visualize urban scenes or country views?

He painted both, and stillness, solitude, and light were themes in all of his work.

It may be my own personal bias, but I get very different feelings from looking at his work in each setting. His cityscapes seem to see the architecture as a barrier. The solitude of the figures evoke a sense of loneliness.

“My aim in painting has always been the most exact transcription possible of my most intimate impressions of nature. “ is Hopper’s statement from a 1959 interview with John Morse at the Whitney.

 Another quote from the same interview,  “There is a certain fear and anxiety and a great visual interest in the things that one sees coming into a great city. I think that’s about all I can say about it.”

Manhattan Bridge Loop Edward Hopper


6 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

wow...two paintings i had never seen before!! i think his most famous paintings always pop in my head when i think of him...and those are lone women in rooms, which i view as serene and contemplative.

i think his work can be read in so many ways!!

x said...

I never knew he painted Maine. It's so interesting to see how you articulate the creative process...not an easy thing to do!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Kathryn, Hopper covered a lot of ground!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi x, you're right it is not. :)

jeronimus said...

Even his landscapes and seascapes have a robust architectural structure to them, like his urbanscapes. Love both of these. Thanks for posting.

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jeronimus, that's right, they do!

It's my pleasure to post - I'm a fan of just about everything Hopper does.

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...