Monday, August 20, 2012

Home Stretch

Katherine Kean, triptych, original oil painting, orange, red, trees
Branches triptych work in progress ©2012 Katherine Kean
oil on linen 8 x 8 in. each panel

I'm looking forward to completing the triptych shown above soon. When I get a chance, I find it's helpful for me to step back and look at work as a photo. I see things - overall patterns and suggestions that I'm not as likely to see on the easel where I'm focused more on details. It's helpful to get a look before it's too late to incorporate what I can learn from this perspective.

It's been challenging to find painting time this summer - a hazard for me as soon as the weather turns nice! Plus, I've had so many other studio projects happening, everything from re-photographing my current inventory for high resolution display to adding prices to all the work on my website. It is all getting done and for that I can thank the latest heat wave that has made it too hot to be distracted by the garden.




6 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

yeah...i like the camera check even more than the mirror check...especially after i've been a way from the piece for a bit! a whole new perspective!

Your triptych is wonderful!

Katherine Kean said...

It often seems to me that the camera is more objective in some way.

Thanks, glad you like it!

Claudia ;D said...

Yes, does it for me too. Great tool! And yes, hard to keep a focus with all the other things that come with painting and need to be done. Hope you find some heat wave capturing you in the studio ;)

Jean Spitzer said...

Camera works well, especially black and white.

I love these, separately and together, very strong design.

Katherine Kean said...

Yes, Claudia - so many things to get done, aren't there? I'm glad for the tools that help to paint 'smart'. :)

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jean - good point! Removing the color can help to highlight the composition and show up weaknesses.