Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Happens When You Don't Pick the Artichoke


 The part of the artichoke that we eat is a flower bud, so if you don't pick the artichoke it goes on to blossom.



 I sometimes find it difficult to decide whether to have a feast for the eyes or plate. This year I left one bud to flower. I can't get over the color.

 While I was taking these photographs one bee after another visited this flower. They each climbed all the way in through the purple to the middle and then climbed back out and went on their way.

5 comments:

Aitch said...

That's such a pretty flower head isn't it? I never realised the artichoke flowered like that!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Aitch, thanks for coming by. I think it's pretty - I guess artichokes are like giant thistles.

Kathryn Hansen said...

oh wow...that's very beautiful...i never knew!!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Kathryn, gardens are full of surprises!

Derek said...

*Love* the colour! We've recently bought some house plants (the herbs are shown in a link to Carla's blog in my latest blog entry.)

Hope you are ok! :)

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...