Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Questions Are Answered at TAG Gallery's Panel Discusion


The Panel: Sally Jacobs, Katherine Kean, and Susie McKay Krieser

The Question and Answer Panel at TAG Gallery on Saturday was well attended. Microphones helped everyone to hear and TAG’s Director, Amy Lombardo, kept the discussion going. As the moderator, she could insure that nobody rambled on for too long, and for those of us who tend toward the laconic, she prompted more with further questions. There were also wonderful questions from the audience. A couple of questions were difficult to answer - as sometimes the best questions are. One was about the moods I am painting and whether they were of sadness, joy, excitement, or something else. I answered that they are multi layered and I had to say that if I could adequately convey all the nuances in words that the need to paint them wouldn't be as compelling.


Amy Lombardo addressing questions to the panel.

The questions about our three exhibitions alternated among the three of us as we passed the microphone back and forth. We were each asked about the advantages and disadvantages of our chosen medium, the answer for me is that I like the color, control and archival qualities of oil on linen and the biggest challenge is the drying time. Sally Jacobs (From the Ground Up) commented on the advantages and difficulties of working with botanicals - such as the fact that they age and decay, and Susie McKay Krieser (Building a Story) talked about the challenges of figurative subjects – of how she handles issues of positioning and the scale.


Susie McKay Krieser explaining working with models.

It was great to have such an attentive and intelligent audience and I really enjoyed myself. I am grateful to TAG’s gallery assistant Craig Best, who had the presence of mind to ask for my camera and take photos, which is why I am able to post a few of them here.

6 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Thank you! I feel a bit like I attended. And thanks to your photographer, too!

About the mood of your paintings: you came up with a good answer to a difficult question. Multi-layered and complex, definitely and also probably more involving, no matter what the mood of the viewer, as a result.

Dianne Poinski said...

Looks like a great turnout Katherine! I loved seeing your beautiful paintings on the wall. It was fun seeing the pictures since I was lucky enough to have visited the gallery, but it also makes me wish I could have seen the show in person. Next time. Congratulations on your successful show!

Katherine Kean said...

You're welcome Jean!

Yes - I like to think that much of the mood is left up to the viewer.

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Dianne, thanks - it's fun that since you've been there you can really get a sense of the exhibition from the pictures! It would be fantastic if you can come to the next one.

Kathryn Hansen said...

wish i could have heard your panel discussion...i think your show is up until Sat Nov 27th, right. Want to see it!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Kathryn, me too! Yes the exhibition is up through Nov 27 - still plenty of time left!

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...