Monday, August 03, 2009

More Underpainting



Ash Plume Underpainting work in progress 40 x 60"
© 2009 Katherine Kean



Here's the underpainting for another large painting - one of the ones I'd like to have complete at the end of the month. I started by toning the entire surface a pale yellow/gold and then painting over that mostly with violets, orange, and brown.

It's been fun working larger and mixing up the paint in recycled cups instead of on a palette while using a bigger brush overall. After working on this size going back to make some revisions on a 30 x 40" painting felt like I was working really small!

Besides mixing larger quantities of paint and using larger brushes another way to make working larger easier is by using a Reducing Glass - also known as a Lover's Glass. A Reducing Glass gives you a viewpoint as if from a distance.

5 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

I love this underpainting. I've been thinking a lot about yellow and purple, lately.

Gabrielle said...

Wow, this is beautiful just as is! Can't wait to see what the final piece looks like!

Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jean - thanks. Purple and yellow are one of my favorite recurring combinations.

Katherine Kean said...

Thank you Gabrielle! I'll keep you posted.

Shanna said...

Hello Katherine. I just discovered your blog - clicked over from Jean's.

Wonderful work!! I hope to know of any shows you have coming up.

Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop

The Bolton Hall Museum Gift Shop   is a great place to do your holiday shopping! Carrying a wide range of unique items, all are created l...